6 Days Rwanda Gorilla Holiday
6 Days Rwanda Gorilla Holiday is one of the topmost safari itineraries in Rwanda that gives a traveler chance to explore the best of Primates.
Highlights of the 6 Days Rwanda Gorilla Holiday
- Day 1: Arrival in Kigali & Transfer to Akagera National Park
- Day 2: Game Drive and Boat Cruise on Lake Ihema
- Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Day 4: Chimpanzee Trekking and Visit Gisakura Tea Estate
- Day 5: Transfer to Ruhengeri via Gisenyi
- Day 6: Gorilla Trekking and Transfer back to Kigali
Day 1: Arrival in Kigali & Transfer to Akagera National Park
- Arrival and Pickup from Kigali: Upon your arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be welcomed by your guide from Explore Rwanda Tours. After a brief meet and greet session, you will proceed with your transfer to Kigali city center where you will commence your tour of Kigali city.
- Kigali City Tour: During your Kigali city tour, you will visit interesting cultural and historical sites like the Kigali Genocide Memorial Center, Umusambi Village, Kimironko market, Camp Kigali and Caplaki craft village among others. You will have lunch in Kigali.
- Transfer to Akagera: After lunch, your guide will transfer you to Akagera national park which is about a two and a half hour drive from Kigali city Centre. Upon your arrival in the park, check into Akagera Game Lodge for dinner and accommodation.
Day 2: Game Drive and Boat Cruise on Lake Ihema
- Game Drive: Have your breakfast early in the morning and head out for a morning game drive. Get to explore the beautiful savanna and landscape in the park. You will also have the opportunity to see wildlife animals in the park like; elephants, buffalos, lions, leopards, rhinos, waterbucks to mention but a few.
- Boat Cruise: You will return back to your lodge for lunch, rest for a short while and later embark on an evening boat cruise on Lake Ihema. While on your boat cruise, you will get to see the splendid wildlife at the park like; Nile Crocodiles, Hippos and some water birds like; the marabou stork, herons and the African fish eagle. After your boat cruise, you can opt to go guided nature walk and explore the marvelous flora and fauna species that Akagera National Park has to offer.
- Return back to your lodge for dinner and a good night’s sleep.
Day 3: Transfer to Nyungwe Forest National Park
- Transfer to Nyungwe: Wake up early and have breakfast at your lodge. Your will then be transferred to Nyungwe National Park via Butare. Nyungwe national park is approximately 294 kilometers from Akagera national park. You will have a stopover at Lake Kivu for a boat ride on the lake and another for lunch enroute to the park. Upon your arrival at Nyungwe, check into your lodge/hotel for dinner and accommodation.
Day 4: Chimpanzee Trekking and Visit Gisakura Tea Estate
- Chimpanzee Trekking: Have breakfast at your lodge and then drive to the park headquarters, where you will get to track some of the habituated chimpanzees in Nyungwe forest national park. You will be expected to report at the park headquarters by 7am in the morning. Actual chimpanzee trekking starts at 8am, where you will be placed in tracking groups consisting of a maximum of six members per group. Chimpanzee trekking in Nyungwe can take about four to six hours, inclusive of an hour that is given to trekkers once a chimpanzee group has been located. Drive back to your lodge for lunch.
- Visit Gisakura Tea Estate: Later in the evening, you can head to Gisakura Tea estate. Here, you will be taken through the process of tea growing, harvesting, processing and packaging. You will even get to taste the delicious taste of the final product.
- Return back to your lodge for dinner and overnight.
Day 5: Transfer to Ruhengeri via Gisenyi
- Transfer to Ruhengeri: Wake up early in the morning and have breakfast at your lodge. You then drive to Ruhengeri via Gisenyi town. Ruhengeri is home to Volcanoes National Park which shelters over 300 habituated mountain gorillas. Once you reach the park, check into your lodge for dinner and an overnight stay.
Day 6: Gorilla Trekking and Transfer back to Kigali
- Gorilla Trekking: Have your breakfast early in the morning and proceed to the park’s headquarters in Kinigi; where you will be briefed and place in groups of 8 members each. Your gorilla trekking safari will commence at 8am, therefore it is important to always keep time. Usually, tracking gorilla groups can take between 2-8 hours with an hour of direct contact with the gorillas once they have been located. Hiking through the forest might prove to be a bit cumbersome and thus calls for one to be physically and mentally fit for the vigorous activity. Also remember to come with a good pair of hiking boots and a raincoat, in case it rains while you are in the forest. Have lunch and later drive back to Kigali.
- Transfer back to Kigali: After having your lunch, you will then transfer back to Kigali. Once you arrive in Kigali city, your guide will drop you off at a hotel of your choice or at the airport (make sure that your flight is scheduled for late in the evening or early the next day).
End of 6 Days Rwanda Gorilla Holiday