Amazing things about Rwanda : Rwanda is a small country located in East Africa, known as the “land of a thousand hills”. Despite its small size, Rwanda has a lot to offer visitors, from stunning landscapes, diverse wildlife, nature to a rich cultural heritage among other things. Rwanda has over the years become a tourist destination for many, making it one of the most sought after destination in East Africa and Africa at large. But what are those things that keep bring people to Rwanda?
In this article we share some of the amazing things about Rwanda that make it a must-visit destination.
- Mountain gorilla trekking: Rwanda is one of the three countries in the world where visitors can go on mountain gorilla trekking tours and observe these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. The gorillas in Rwanda are found in Volcanoes National Park together with other primate speices like the golden monkeys; though people will visit the park mainly for the gorillas, The mountain gorilla trekking activities are both adventurours and anyone who takes part in them, gets an experience like no other. At Volcanoes National Park there are alos other activities done apart from mountain gorilla trekking, These activities include Mountain hiking the Virunga Massifs bisoke or Karisimbi, golden monkey trekking, bird watching, nature walks, cultural village tour and the dian fossey centre trek.
- Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre: This centre is a powerful tribute to the victims of the 1994 Rwandan genocide and serves as a reminder of the importance of peace and reconciliation. There is one considered the main genocide memorial centre it is found in the country’s capital Kigali, and there are many more memorial centres found all over the country.
- Lake Kivu: This beautiful lake located on the border between Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo and offers stunning views and opportunities for water-based activities like swimming and kayaking.
- Nyungwe Forest National Park: This park is a biodiversity hotspot and is home to over 1,000 species of plants and animals, including chimpanzees and several species of monkeys. It’s also known for the only canopy walk in the region and the magnificent water falls.
- Akagera National Park: Only Savannah Park in the country located in the eastern part of Rwanda and is home to a variety of wildlife, including elephants, lions, and giraffes and many others. It is also home to over 1000 bird species.
- Traditional dance and drumming: Rwanda has a rich cultural heritage, and visitors can experience traditional dance and drumming performances at cultural centres and events.
- Inema Art Center: This art centre in Kigali showcases the work of local artists and offers visitors a chance to learn about Rwandan art and culture.
- Imigongo art: Imigongo is a traditional Rwandan art form that involves painting geometrical patterns on wooden boards using natural materials like cow dung and soil.
- Coffee tours: Rwanda is known for producing high-quality coffee, and visitors can go on coffee tours to learn about the production process and sample different varieties.
- Musanze Caves: These caves are located in the northern part of Rwanda and offer visitors a chance to explore underground tunnels and chambers.
- Cultural tourism: Several communities in Rwanda have developed community-based tourism initiatives that allow visitors to learn about local culture and support local businesses.
- Kigali City Tour: A tour of Kigali city is a great way to learn about the history and culture of Rwanda’s capital.
- Karongi (Kibuye): This town is located on the shores of Lake Kivu and offers beautiful views and opportunities for relaxation and water-based activities.
- Craft markets: Rwanda is known for its beautiful handicrafts, including baskets, pottery, and textiles, which can be found at local craft markets.
- Warm hospitality: Rwandans are known for their warm and welcoming nature, making visitors feel at home and ensuring a memorable and enjoyable trip.
Rwanda is a country that offers a unique and diverse range of experiences for visitors. From its stunning wildlife and landscapes to its rich cultural heritage and warm hospitality, Rwanda is a must-visit destination in East Africa.