ARE GORILLAS DANGEROUS
Are gorillas dangerous? Before Dian Fossey embarked on the journey of habituating the gorillas in volcanoes national park they were seen as aggressive primates in the wild however this changed with the different gorilla habituation sessions along the Virunga mountains in Rwanda where she also established the karisoke research station where she carried out the process, the myth was soon wiped away making them quite approachable and gentle in the presence of humans. During your dian Fossey hike, you will get the chance to understand more about her efforts and how she made gorilla trekking in Africa famous. There are different gorilla species like the Eastern lowland gorillas in Congo, the western lowland gorillas, the mountain gorillas that can be seen in Africa that you will get to see as you visit the different gorilla trekking destinations in Africa where you will understand more about their interesting behaviour.
Besides being gentle and calm in the wild, the gorillas can be triggered by many factors which can bring out their violent nature hence being dangerous. While you take part in gorilla trekking in Rwanda along the Virunga mountains. While participating in gorilla trekking in Rwanda, you will have the chance to spend time with the gorillas observing the behaviour of the gorillas in the wild, how they co-exist with one another mountain gorillas reproduction among other interesting features of the primate species.
Although the gorillas have undergone the habituation process, it does not mean they are comfortable with human presence, there are a number of triggers that can make the gorillas quite aggressive making them dangerous species to deal with therefore before you participate in gorilla trekking in Virunga national park, gorilla trekking in volcanoes national park, gorilla trekking in Bwindi impenetrable national park and gorilla trekking in Mgahinga national park, you will participate in the briefing session which will help you understand the triggers for the gorillas to avoid them attacking you. Some of the triggers for the gorillas includes flash photography, making a move on the infants, making unnecessary noise and movements in the presence of the gorillas because they will see you as a threat and this will lead them to attack you.
Triggers that can make a gorilla charge at you
· Meeting a group that is not habituated is one of the most dangerous thing to do this is because the gorillas that are not accustomed to human presence are quite aggressive that they can charge at you at any time.
· Misunderstandings, bad mood in the gorillas can also lead the gorillas to charge at you
· Touching the gorillas especially the infants when you get in contact with them can lead the gorillas to attack you
· Coming close to the gorillas can also lead them to attack you during gorilla trekking can lead the gorillas to attack you which can be fatal because they are quite aggressive dangerous and quite strong.
What to do when a gorilla charges at you
· Remain calm when the gorilla becomes aggressive and try hard to remain calm and avoid making any movements in their presence until they become calm.
· Avoid raising your arms as they are being aggressive because it is a sign that you are ready to fight with them.
· Make yourself a small target in the presence of the gorillas by crouching down to avoid them from attacking you.
· When the gorilla charges at you, you should consider grooming it until it loosens its grip from you and remain calm until help comes.
For the best gorilla trekking experience in Africa, you should consider visiting safe destinations that have put in place a number of covid-19 safety measures to ensure you have a safe and amazing activity. Some of the destinations that you can visit include volcanoes national park if you’re interested in Participating in gorilla trekking in Rwanda, for gorilla trekking in Uganda you will have the chance to track the gorillas in two destinations that is Mgahinga national park where you will access the gorilla families by hiking the Virunga mountain in Uganda and Bwindi impenetrable national park in the four sectors of the park and also participate in gorilla trekking in Virunga national park where you will get to see the mountain gorillas. You will also get to participate in gorilla trekking in kahuzi biega national park which will give you the chance to understand more about the eastern lowland gorillas among other gorilla species.