BOAT CRUISE ON LAKE IHEMA
Boat Cruise on Lake Ihema : The boat cruise on lake Ihema will give you an hour long of a fun filled adventure watching the different the rich bio diversity that Akagera national park possesses for an amazing experience in the park. The bat cruise on lake Ihema is among the top tourism activities in Akagera national park that should not be missed out on during your Rwanda safari tour because of how big the lake is and the different attractions you will get to see the different wildlife species from the concentrations of animals in the park, amazing views of the lake to the numerous bird species that will ensure you have an amazing experience in the park. The lake gets its water from river Akagera where the name of the park was derived from and among the lakes in Akagera national park, lake Ihema is the biggest lake in the park.
Added benefits of the boat cruise
While participating in the boat cruise on lake Ihema, you will get the chance to see a number of game animals like the hippopotamus that can be seen swimming you will also have the chance to see other animals like large herds of buffaloes, elephants, impalas, oribi and many other animal species because the park is home to about 69 mammal species quenching their thirst from the water body for an amazing experience on lake Ihema. You will also get to see a number of amphibians like the crocodiles sun basking and if you’re lucky enough you will also get to see them catching prey.
The park is a home to over 155 bird species which includes the water birds that can be seen when you take part in the boat cruise on Lake Ihema and among the different bird species that can be seen include; the endangered shoe bill stork which has a number of interesting features like a long bill that in in form of a shoe, papyrus gonolek, jacanas Sandpipers, Malachite Kingfisher, herons among other bird species and if you’re lucky enough you can also get to see the water birds trying to catch prey(fish) that can be seen within the papyrus swamps which act as bird sanctuaries to a number of bird species in the park which makes it quite the perfect spot for birding safaris in Rwanda.
Just like the game drives in Akagera national park, there are two boat cruises you can opt to participate in like the morning game drive which will give you the chance to see the early risers in the park and the evening boat cruise that will give you the chance to see the sunset as you also watch a number of attractions for an amazing experience during your Rwanda Safari tour.
Tips during the boat cruise
- While you participate in the boat cruise don’t forget to carry your insect repellent with you because there are a number of insects that can bite you and cause irritations.
- You should not forget carrying your camera with you because of a number of interesting attractions that can be seen for instance the different bird and animal species and the views of the park from the boat are quite breath-taking views making them worthy of being
- Do not forget carrying some cash with you to enjoy one of the drinks like wines that are purchased on board and these may include soft drinks, wines in case you get thirsty for a drink, alternatively you can also consider packing your own drinks to avoid incurring costs.
- You can also pack some food to eat as you enjoy taking part in relaxing adventure on the boat cruise because you can get hungry during the boat cruise.
- There are tsetse flies in the park therefore in case you get bitten by one, you should consider not scratching the bite to avoid leaving behind a painful wound.
- Avoid putting on bright coloured clothes because the tsetse flies are attracted to coloured clothes which can lead them to attack you therefore if you’re considering taking part in the activity you should put on neutral clothes.